Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Metro at Noon on a Saturday.....too busy to bother with...

I was thinking of attempting to get from CDG to the Latin Quarter via the Metro, but are Saturday afternoons very busy? We will have wheeled luggage, but I don%26#39;t want to hold up too many people. But then again, it%26#39;s not a workday so it might not be so bad....





Any opinions??




|||



Don%26#39;t bother with the metro. Go for Air France buses.




|||



Does that mean that the Metro is too busy to do this on a Saturday? I looked into the Air France Bus, but then we%26#39;d just have to take a cab to the hotel from Gare Montparnasse. I was thinking with the Metro, we can get to a metro stop within one block of our hotel.




|||



Our plane arrives next Sat at 10:35 AM. I%26#39;ve been wondering the same question. Do I take the bus or the metro.




|||



Unless you are travelling with backpacks, navigating the metro system in Paris with suitcases (even rolling ones) is tricky. There are narrow turnstiles to get through, and well as lots of staircases and hallways (which can be packed on weekends depending on the station). The trip into Paris from CDG requires hopping on the RER, not the Metro. The RER connects with the Metro in the city. Unless your hotel is right off of the RER station, and does not require you to change to Metro lines, I would advise you to take the Cars AirFrance or go with one of the many shuttle companies. Paying a little extra is worth the hassle of having to schlep and haul suitcases, especially after a long flight!




|||



Thanks.....I was getting confused with the Metro/RER lines! I%26#39;m not as close as I thought I was. I think a cab would be the best option.




|||



If you%26#39;re travelling alone, a shuttle service is cheaper than a cab, like 25 Euros. If you have 2 to 3 in your party, a cab might be better. But cabs don%26#39;t usually take more than 3 people, and the trip might cost you anywhere between 50-60 Euros. Happy travelling!!




|||



The fastest way into is the RER if you are close to an RER stop. I have also done a single change with bags which isnt to bad. It depends on if you are able to lug your luggage around. Saturday the RER / Metro will not be busy like it is when people are going to / coming from work. A taxi is certainly the most comfortable option if you dont mind spending the money.




|||



Our hotel is across the street from Gare Montparnasse. Our plan is to pack 2 - 21%26quot; rolling suitcases that we will also be able to carry up stairs when needed. We are going to have a back pack each. Our hope is we will not have to check any luggage.





Since Gare Montparnasse is an RER line I think we only need to change trains once.





Our plane arrives at terminal 2. So what%26#39; the best way to the RER.





Is it best to change trains at Gare du Nord or Chatelet Les Halles?





Thanks for the advice.




|||



I%26#39;ve decided on Bee Shuttle.....the first class is 40 euros pp round trip, and they have a maximum of two stops. Cheaper than a taxi, and hopefully they won%26#39;t want to drop me off at the airport 6 hours before my departure flight!




|||



I would not recomend any kind of luggage on the metro. Not only is it crowded, but there are endless stairs to climb. I have seen pople getting stuck in the turnstiles with luggage which is annoying to those behind them, not to mention making them a target for pick pockets. We have used Paris Shuttle on several occaisions. I think they are ok but we usually have a 15 or 20 minute wait ouside the terminal to be picked up. We are thinking of taking a taxi next visit. I%26#39;m usually so tired when our flight arrives that the aspect of dragging my luggage around is not very attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment