Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Gray hair in Paris



I recently read on one of the Boards that American women stick out because they have gray hair and no women under the age of 70 does in Paris. Was this the opinion of one person or what? If I restrain my friendliness, am polite, and try to use my poor French in soft tones, do you think they may not notice my gray hair? Or should I go dye it?




|||



LOL! You must be joking, n%26#39;est-ce pas?





You can go with whatever color, pink, purple, etc.





Why in the world would anybody in Paris care about your gray hair?




|||



Gray hair will be fine. I love the French. I love the Parisians. I think they are generally some of the most stylish people on earth. I get my hair cut at a French-owned and -operated salon here in Washington, DC. BUT, I must say that there is a specific very funky color of purple hair dye often seen on Parisian women that is simply not a color found elsewhere in nature. Whatever you do, don%26#39;t do that to your lovely gray hair!




|||



like coco chanel LOL, i dont know where you read that, but in paris many old or not women do have grey hair, like everywhere in the world. lots of women color their hair but well not all the women lol.




|||



Perhaps he could place an order for a pink cashmere beret with maribou trim? I%26#39;ll be taking orders through May! ;)P





(Sorry PharmDoc, that%26#39;s an inside joke for some of our loyal posters!)




|||



Well I%26#39;m still smiling at PharmDocs %26#39;Baling in Paris%26#39; thread - that missing %26#39;d%26#39; has given me the most amusement today!





Have a great trip in your Panama hat sir :o)




|||



Its funny.. I brought %26quot;Le Divorce%26quot; as my travel read and it mentioned that all older women in Paris have blonde hair. And well.. not to generalize too much, but yes.. I did see alot of that. And I noticed that many older women had a similar dress attire-- colorful beret, fur coat, slacks, and whimsical/colorful flats.




|||



Wear your little %26quot;carre%26quot; and you will fool them all no matter you hair color.



(that translates to a square silk scarf, preferably from Hermes)




|||



I can see I am out of my league here with you full time readers. First, I am the one with gray hair and the pink thing with fur isn%26#39;t my bag. I am an outdoors girl who will be wearing nice slacks and comfortable shoes (not tennis, however), but would rather be wearing jeans and tennis. Unfortunately, jeans do not dry well and I can forsee handwashing with only a carry on and 20 days in Europe.



Secondly, my husband is the bal(d)ing one. No, pink isn%26#39;t his color either. Thanks for the Panama tips. I didn%26#39;t think %26quot;Rockies%26quot; cap would cut it in Paris.



Glad to hear we can be ourselves in Paris because it would be hard habit to break after so many years. :) I am taking him to Europe--Grand Prix, Cannes Film Festival, Rome, Nice, and Paris for his 60th.




|||



Oooh, oooh, it%26#39;s my birthday in a couple of weeks. Can I go, too?





PharmDoc, I hope we didn%26#39;t scare you away with our irreverent answers. The Panama hat will be a decent solution. He won%26#39;t really look Parisian, but it%26#39;s not that important as long as he looks good. Also, I%26#39;m not sure how necessary it will be. Paris is MUCH further north than Colorado and the sun is not so intense. Sunscreen probably would be just the trick. My partner is follicly-challenged, too, and always wears his ballcap in Paris. He looks young enough to pull it off, though!





If you%26#39;d really rather wear jeans, look into buying some lightweight ones. Something I%26#39;ve noticed in Parisian clothes is that denim seems to be much lighter weight (so it dries faster) and many clothes seem to have a higher content of synthetics (for the same reason).




|||



Trauffant--can you fit into a carry on? %26gt;:)

No comments:

Post a Comment