Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Diet cokes

So I keep reading that soda%26#39;s are expensive if you go to a cafe. Is their anything besides wine that is not too expensive? Limonade? Orangina?



Thank you




|||



And a word of warning to any fellow Diet Coke junkies: It%26#39;s not the same.....and it%26#39;s usually served at room temperature.



I like the Orangina....very nice.




|||



The diet Orangina is great and you can%26#39;t get it in the States, as far as I can tell! Cokes are not too expensive if you buy them in a can from small store-front food shops, maybe around $1.50.




|||



Soft drinks, such as Coke, Diet Coke, Orangina, etc. are pretty expensive in caf��s.





Get them at Franprix, Monoprix, small shops around the corner, etc. Some of these tiny shops (called %26#39;Djerbiens%26#39;, because run by people from that Tunisian Island) stay open quite late).





Also, don%26#39;t buy small water bottles near tourist attractions, unless you want to get ripped off. Buy them as well in advance in grocery stores (some have them chilled) and carry them with you during your days out.




|||



It all depends on the Cafe location, if it is situed on a very desirable street, what you are buying is not only a coca but a piece of real estate for a couple of hours. In most places beer and wine are cheaper than sodas, all will have limonade (un citron presse) or fruit juices and of course water.




|||



Whenever I ask for a coke I just get looked at, when I say coca cola they know straight away what I am talking about!





Just something I have noticed.




|||



Order a Coke as %26quot;coca%26quot; and Diet Coke as %26quot;coca light%26quot;.




|||



One time we ordered cokes in a cafe. I figured out with the exchange rate they cost us $10 US each.




|||



I noticed soda products as high as 9 Euro in cafes. Which was way more then I wanted to pay.. though my travel companion didn%26#39;t let that stop her. So I just ordered the wine (around 5 Euro).. didn%26#39;t look at other products. There%26#39;s always a carafe of water you can order too.



And when you just want to buy a can from a street vendor- it was about 1.50 Euros.



And its Coca Cola Light over there.... which I still find myself calling it since returning home (hard habits).



As a side note.. I was sitting in Republique Square and these French men were at the next bench and were trying to talk to me. They were trying to ask me where I was from. And when I said %26quot;Los Angeles/America%26quot;. They said %26quot;Coca Cola Light... mais oui, American!%26quot; Thought that was pretty funny... guess they know we Americans like our Diet Cola (as I know French aren%26#39;t into %26quot;diet%26quot; food/drinks. Which I learned real quick from my ex-French boyfriend)




|||



I have one of the first diet coke bottles from the states, on the cap it soys something along the lines of, this product causes cancer in lab rats. Don%26#39;t see them advertising that these days. I work with a qualified nutritionist and he insists coke is better for you than diet coke after reading the label, something to do with the sweeteners they put in diet coke I think!! Just passing on the info! that%26#39;s all. Not my opinion.





Lemon



p.s some drinks in the UK have taken on the light thing instead of diet, but coke has remained diet coke. New one here now with lime and it%26#39;d pretty good.




|||



I have a large (40cl) coke which cost me 9 Euros or about ��6.50 (God alone knows what that is in Dollars). I thought beer was expensive at 8 euros! Needless to say that was the only non alcoholic drink of the trip except for the odd coffee which was washed down with brandy. Now I know Americans like Coke (usually around 15 litres a day). My suggestion is, bring a cool bag, cunningly disguised as a back pack, stay in a hotel with a mini bar, every night, clear out the mini bar, put in the coke you%26#39;ve just bought for about 3 euros for 3 litres in the local %26quot;Shopi%26quot; or %26quot;Intermarche%26quot;, then the next morning you have a sufficient fix of the brown stuff to get you through the day! Just don%26#39;t forget to put the beer back in the mini bar. For any English reading this substitute coke for beer, preferably 1664.





Keep an eye out for PMU bars, they are betting shops as well as bars, but by far the cheapest place to have a drink that I found in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment