Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Is Paris unfriendly to Americans?

We have avoided France in the past because we were told that the French were especially unfriendly to non French speaking Americans. We were hoping to visit this summer and plan to carry a voice translator and learn some common French phrases. How will the reception compare to the overwhelming friendliness of the other European capitals.




|||



I think you will find the reception equally as warm. Just preface any conversation with a Binjour Madame/Monsieur, throw in a s%26#39;il vous plait here and there and end every request with a Merci, merci beaucoup and %26#39;au revoir%26quot; and you will do just fine. I don%26#39;t think you need a voice translator, as most French, (at least in the heavily touristed areas) speak English far better than we speak French.





The French love Americans. They just are not fans of American politics. They can distinguish between the two.




|||



I have not had any problems in France. I do try to speak some of the language, I am very polite and say %26quot;Bonjour%26quot; (hello) %26quot;merci%26quot; (thank you) %26quot;s%26#39;il vous plait%26quot; (please) etc. Pick up some tapes of French language - you can actually find some of them at the Half Price Bookstores and learn some French. I find that they really appreciate it.





I have found that the french are slightly %26quot;dressier%26quot; than in some of the other places, most notably in Paris (unless you plan on traveling to some of the more country places). Leave your lees, wranglers and walmart clothes at home! My husband wore his Levis throughout France and I did notice that he didn%26#39;t get as %26quot;nice%26quot; of service as I did!




|||



I think you have watched Fox News too much. This forum is full of messages that contradict that perception.




|||



I have found that Parisians are actually among the nicest people of Europe, provided that you use common sense and respect them and their culture. A simple Bonjour or Merci can often go a long way, as Parisians realize that you have an interest in respecting their language as well. I think that those who have complained in the past about Parisians and established the stereotype of rudeness are likely those people who go to Paris and stomp about acting as if the Parisians are the foreigners and assuming that everyone speaks English. I wonder how we would respond if Parisians considered us rude because, when they visit, we don%26#39;t reply graciously when they start spewing at us in French. There is no reason to avoid Paris, it%26#39;s the best city in the world, in my humble opinion.




|||



Great question, I wish more people would ask. I was in Paris the day the War in Iraq started and I was treated very well by the French. I did have people ask me for my opinion on the war and the French offered their opinions as well. To be very honest with you, the French are generally very nice and polite. If you attempt to only speak English you may come across a bit of resentment on the part of the French. Most French people will speak English with if you at least attempt to speak French first. There%26#39;s no need to learn copiuos amounts of French, but your trip will be much better if you learn the basics: please, thank you, excuse me, how much does this cost, etc. I speak French and my wife does not. When she approached people and only spoke English there were strange looks and even people who were less than helpful. However, as soon as she learned to say, %26quot;Pardon moi%26quot; instead of %26quot;exscuse me%26quot; people went out of their way to speak English. A very nice French cab driver explained it this way. %26quot;If I come to American and only speak French no one would talk to me, why should Americans come to France and make us speak a foreign language in our own country?%26quot; This pretty much sums up the attitudes I%26#39;ve encountered. Show the French that you at least repect their culture and they will treat you very well. Enjoy your trip, Paris is one of the most beautifull cities on the planet!!!




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; Great question, I wish more people would ask. %26lt;%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





People ask this question all the time =O



But the answer is...... parisians are very friendly. Just make an effort to respect their language and culture by learning simple phrases and they are usually very nice and helpful.




|||



%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;I have found that Parisians are actually among the nicest people of Europe%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;



I think that I am living in the wrong Paris. People here are just like people in DC, NY and most other large cities. Well, maybe not LA, but that is really just a mega %26#39;burb. In any case we have our fair share of lovely, welcoming hosts and rude, obnoxious individuals.




|||



Phread un mot rebelote




|||



I tried to translate the last post to no avail...




|||



oh sorry Pimcneal I forgot one l it should read %26quot;rebellote%26quot; meaning in English something like %26quot;There we goes again%26quot;. Phread and I were having a similar discussion on the other %26quot;hot%26quot; post about Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment