Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Just returned, my highlights and tips!

Bonjour everyone! I���ve just returned from a trip to Paris and thought I���d share some highlights of the trip and any useful advice I can think of. It was uncharacteristically, and somewhat unexpectedly, very warm! Normally this cheers people greatly, only I packed for cold weather and was desirous of such as I get year round warm where I live (Southern California) and was really looking forward to some cool, crisp air. But it failed to become much of an issue after I went out and purchased some sleeveless turtleneck sweaters. Not sure exactly at what temperature the Parisians ditch THEIR cold weather duds, though, because at 70 degrees they still were wearing their long coats and scarfs!





I walked my behind off (though plenty still remains, damnit!) For those who���ve never been to Paris, be prepared to walk all day long, and for the more walking inclined (such as stubborn me) you are easily looking at 10 miles a day. Stop often and rest���get a cappuccino or sit in a park. Grab one of the metal chairs that sit around the pond/fountains at the Tuileries and just watch the world go by for a spell.





The best tip I can give the ladies planning for Paris, is to NOT get all caught up in the FEAR of what to wear or what kind of shoe is appropriate. A COMFORTABLE shoe is what is appropriate���though it���s true, no white sneakers were seen. I did though see every other style and color of shoe imaginable, so much so as to not be able to define what the look is. I saw the punky converse sneakers, lots of sleek thin-soled running shoes, Puma being a preferred brand, I saw boots flat heeled, high heeled and funky heeled. Lots of mis-match clothing. Basically what I saw, is that ANY style goes with the exception of white sneaks and track suits. What I saw���is that the Parisians don���t pay too much attention to one another, aside from staring at one another on the Metro, because what else is there to do on the Metro? Everyone is on their cell phone or in a rush to get wherever it is they are going to pay much attention to others. And since there was no singular defined style, this makes life pretty easy, I���d say! Somebody on this site had asked a few weeks back on what type of shoe to wear that would work with pants and skirts and I said a low heeled boot. Somebody posted back, somewhat indignantly, that nobody wears boots with skirts in Europe! I knew at the time what an idiotic thing that was to say and indeed I saw so many women wearing skirts of all lengths with boots of all types of heels. (so there!)





Stay and listen to the musicians in the Metro tunnels���the acoustics are great and often you will see 6-8 member bands performing. Buy their CD to take home as a souvenir. I brought home some Ukraine music and some South American stuff���FAB!



Attend a concert at Saint Chapelle���definitely an intimate venue, though a bit echo-y.



If you pass a bistro with live music that you like the sound of, do not keep walking! Stop and listen to the bells of nearby churches. Make sure to notice the little old ladies who are 90 plus years, keeping a hold of their independence and always in their Sunday best.





Let���s see���.what else? Make sure you know the location of your neighborhood Alimentation General (general store) for those late night bottles of wine, HaagenDahz, cheese, baguette or toothbrush! This store is your Godsend late at night and on Sundays when all else is closed.





The MontMartre cemetary is a fabulous place to wander about, keep your eyes out for Le Chats (the cats���I saw 4-5 of them) and make friends with them if you can get them to say hello. I hung out with a big fat orange tabby fellow for awhile. However, it seems as though the entrance is also the only exit to the cemetary���so be prepared to walk.





The flea market at the Port De Vanves was supreme for small antiques! I bought several small ���treasures��� and a few items to decorate my ���Paris apartment��� back in the states.





Try riding the bus more often than the Metro���.it really is nicer, less crowded and you get to watch Paris as you ride along!





I know I am probably forgetting a lot of stuff���but that���s all I can think of for now. Vive La Paris!





-LassCass








|||



Thanks for your notes. We%26#39;ve been back 2 weeks now but it%26#39;s wonderful to read about everyone else%26#39;s trips! Glad you had such a good time.




|||



Lasscass, I%26#39;ve been waiting to hear about your trip! I%26#39;m leaving in 3 hours, so this will be my last visit to this board until the end of April. Your post was very helpful - I%26#39;ll pay attention to all the sounds and sights around me as you suggest. If I see %26quot;your%26quot; tabby at Montmartre, I%26#39;ll be sure to say hello :)



Welcome home!




|||



iamwoman, if you are not gone already BON VOYAGE and I suspect you will be enjoying every single seconds of it.




|||



We saw %26quot;your%26quot; cat at the cemetery. I%26#39;ll post a picture, but I%26#39;m not sure where it%26#39;ll be...I can%26#39;t seem to be able to do it here.




|||



Thanks Luckyluc, I%26#39;m leaving the house for Miami Intl. in an hour - for a 1:15 flight! They tell me that theairport is a zoo the first day after Spring break. Thanks for your help these past months. A bientot!




|||





Welcome back, lasscass........





What a great post. You really took time to look around you and smell the roses.....love it. I hope it helps so many who worry about what to wear....It is not another planet, but it is a busy city where people dont really notice much about how visitors look.....how they act is something else. I agree that now almost anything goes with what they wear.....except women over 55 or so!





Its my thought that the French seem to have a different type blood....they just take a big change of weather in stride, not bothering to change their clothes just because its warm (or hot).......Cant believe how they wear their heavy coats in the hot, hot department stores! Being from a warm climate, the first thing I do is take off my jacket or coat indoors there and try to get out of a hot box in a hurry (lost a leather jacket this time because I wasnt wearing it). But they just seem to adjust with no problem.





What arrondisement did you stay in and how long were you there?





Did you get to see %26quot;Wolf%26quot;? If so what did you think of it? We saw it and I went away shaking my head. Interesting, some great singing, music, but..........? I think Mozart would have liked it though.





Do post more on your trip.............I just loved your observations.........Thanks again....Bea




|||



Oh, yeh, wonderful Paris tool is The Great Paris Walk Pack. 5 wonderful walking tours...lots of detail and neat, off-the-beaten-track things to see. I bought it online, can%26#39;t remember where, but its easy to find.




|||



As I was interested in the Great Paris Walk Pack for our upcoming trip, I did a little research. You can find it on Amazon.com by Carole Howard for $15.95 or through www.bonjourparis.com, which by the way is an absolutely fabulous weekly newsletter (free) for Francophile junkies!

No comments:

Post a Comment