Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Active things to do in Paris

My hubby and I have very different ideas of vacation. I%26#39;m happy sitting in a museum - he%26#39;ll die of boredom after two hours.





What are some ideas for active things to do in or around Paris? Hiking, Climbing, Disc golf, Ultimate Frisbee pickup games, skating...?





Thanks!




|||



How about walking tours? That would meet his need to move around with your interest in the arts/culture. You could rent bikes. You could go hiking on the trails in the Foret de Fontainebleau. He could climb the Eiffel Tower while you take the elevator!!




|||



Hiking in Foret de Fontainebleau might be the trick - thanks!




|||



Get a ticket for the Eiffel Tower and knock yourself out with stair climbing for the whole day. :-)



There%26#39;s plenty of pick-up soccer games.



There%26#39;s also some great public swimming pools in Paris. They have amazingly cheap entry fees to...like $2pp.





An ultramarathon buddy of mine likes to run from Paris to Versailles, around the gardens for a few hours and then back to Paris, once a day if he doesn%26#39;t have to work. He%26#39;s crazy though.





My wife routinely competes in powerwalk (6-9 mph) marathons. When she and I are in Paris, we%26#39;re content just to walk (normal 2-3 mph speed) all the time--we don%26#39;t bother with Metros or buses unless we%26#39;re heading to an upscale dinner or something. It%26#39;s easy to pile in 10-15 miles of walking per day. We have very comfortable, high utility casual clothes so we%26#39;re never having to wear running shoes or obvious exercise attire.




|||



oh. I should add that my wife likes wandering museums too. She can be in their for weeks. And I am like your husband. A mere 30 seconds in the Louvre will bore me and knock me out faster than a shopping mall. Fortunately, I%26#39;ll be in Paris to work and my wife hits the museums, etc.




|||



When traveling to Europe, I begin a work out regime to pre-condition myself for all the walking. We walk 10 miles minimum daily even with taking the metro.





For an active workout, walk the stairs of the Arc de Triomphe. I liked the view better than the Eiffel Tower. But you have to do both. Or the stairs to the top of Notre Dam. Thats the best of both worlds. You get your museum monument fix and your hubby gets to be active.




|||



Hiking in the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont would be terrific. It was fashioned from old quarries and has all sorts of man-made waterfalls, lakes, hills, etc.





Alternatively, here is a page from my rental apartment website that has lots of listings of sporting activities in Paris: www.rentalapartmentparis.com/Links-Sports.htm




|||



You can rent bikes and visit the city a velo. The roads along the quais of the Seine are closed Sundays, which makes for great rides from the Bois de Boulogne all the way to the Bois de Vincennes.



Fountainbleau also has some world class rock climbing if you are sick of walking all the time.




|||



Fountainbleau sounds like a vacation in itself. trekearth.com has some AMAZING photos. We might end up returning to France just to hang around this area.




|||



There is a lot of pools in Paris, if you like to swim. I choose one close to my hotel and often go before diner, so I do not feel to guilty after the five courses meal ! My favorite is Piscine Pontoise in the 5eme, it is open very late, and beautiful in Art deco style.





I often saw people playing tennis au jardin du Luxembourg, but I do not know if one have to be a member of a club.





On Sunday afternoon around 14,30 , place de la Bastille there is a large number of people doing roller, you can easily rent them for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment